My adventures as a private (PPL) pilot in New Zealand

Monday, July 31, 2006

First solo - August 2004

Well after over 1 year of training, 23 flights and 14.9 hours total time in my logbook, it was time for my first solo.

Of course, I didnt know it was going to be my first solo until it happened, but I figured I must be getting close since I had been doing endless circuits lately with less and less stuff-ups!

When I turned up at the aero club for what I thought was another dual circuit lesson, I found out that my usual C-Cat instructor had been replace by one of the B-Cats, with no reason given. I had never flown with this particular instructor before, so I was more nervous than normal when we started the flight, making sure I got all the checks done in the right order.

Straight after takeoff I was given an 'engine failure', which I was not expecting, as the other instructors normally let me do one or two circuits before giving me anything tricky. However it went smoothly, and then I continued with the circuit for a nice touchdown. As I was about to increase power for the touch and go, the instructor called for an aborted takeoff, so I rolled to the end of the runway and taxied clear. Then he went on to say that he was getting out, and that the aircraft would be slightly more responsive without him in, and to do one circuit then taxi back to the club. And to enjoy myself.

PANIC!!!

After taxiing back to the runway, I did all my checks twice, then sat there for a minute to check my thoughts together. I lined up, increased power and was airbourne quite alot quicker than usual. As I climbed through about 200' AGL, suddenly it hit home that I was solo! If anything went wrong now, I had to fix it myself! A quick check of t's and p's assured me that all was well, and I continued with the circuit, still saying out loud all the checks etc.

A good approach, average landing and it was done! I was shaking as I taxied back to the club, and as soon as the engine was shutdown out came people to shake my hand.

I went back to work, but I dont think I did anything all afternoon I was that excited!

3 Comments:

Blogger Flyinkiwi said...

I LOVE reading about peoples first solo's. It takes me back to mine. Your experience sounds like par for the course.

8:50 AM

 
Blogger Krishna said...

Hi Aaron,
This is Krishna from India. Google search on kiwi pilots threw up your link first and your first solo account is really nice. I am planning to come to New Zealand for my commercial pilot license training. Could you pls give me your mail id and/or contact number so that I can have my queries clarified with you about flying training in New Zealand.

Thanks and Regards
Krishna

4:23 PM

 
Blogger Aaron Martin said...

Hi Krishna, you can email me at aaron dot martin at xtra dot co dot nz.

9:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home