My adventures as a private (PPL) pilot in New Zealand

Monday, July 10, 2006

Trial Flight - June 2003

Well my first ever training flight was way back in June 2003. I had wanted to learn to fly for many years, and at one point had applied for and been accepted into the Air Force, but unfortunatly was only offered the navigator role and not pilot.

So after living in Hawkes Bay for a few months, and having driven past Bridge Pa aerodrome several times with the enticing $35 trial flight sign out front, I finally decided to give it a go.

So I drove in to the Hawkes Bay & Eact Coast Aero Club to get more info about the trial flights and flight training in general, and as luck had it 20 minutes later I was being shown through my very first pre-flight! No need to book, just get in and go!

I remember being surprised that the instructor let me do almost everything, from start, taxi, takeoff, some basic turns etc, overhead join and approach, but not landing. Of course I didnt know what any of this stuff was, and he had his hands very close to the controls at all times. The radio chatter sounded like a different language, and I could only focus on a very small spot in front of the plane, such was the concentration required. My main memory of this flight, which sounds strange, was how hard it was to taxi in a straight line!

It was a very short flight, 0.4 hours, but it defintely got me hooked, and I booked my next lesson as soon as we were back in the office!

2 Comments:

Blogger Flyinkiwi said...

After the boatlike steering of the Cessna, the direct feel of the Piper Cherokee's steering is fantastic. But yes I had problems keeping straight when taxiing, and on the odd occasion I still do. ;)

8:47 AM

 
Blogger Aaron Martin said...

Man you should try a tomahawk, they have awesome nose wheel steering, can turn on a dime!

6:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home